The auto insurance laws in the state of Illinois are some of the toughest in the nation, especially if you are the proud owner of a motorcycle. Statewide Insurance Solutions in Waukegan, IL wants you to know the basics before you start looking or a motorcycle policy.
In order to start riding, you need certain minimum coverages that have the following limits:
- At least $20k of bodily damage liability insurance for each individual
- At least $40k of bodily damage liability insurance for each separate incident
- At least $15k of property damage liability insurance for each separate incident
You may want to invest in additional coverage if you are in the following circumstances.
- If you have a new bike, then you can get insurance that will pay more if that bike is totaled.
- You can also protect yourself on long trips if your bike ever breaks down when you are far from home with trip interruption insurance.
- Collision and comprehensive coverage are separate from the coverages above, and they will repair your bike if it is wrecked in uncommon circumstances.
- You also need to protect your optional equipment, including saddlebags and other add ons. Normal insurance does not protect these things.
Why do you need all of this coverage just to ride in Illinois? Well, the state is known for inclement weather. It is also extremely crowded in its large cities with high relative rates of accidents when compared to other parts of the nation (especially Chicago). You need to protect yourself against every possible situation while riding. When you are protected, you will be able to ride with greater confidence because you know that everything is taken care of no matter what happens.
Statewide Insurance Solutions serves the communities in and around Waukegan, IL with reliable motorcycle insurance options.